When you start studying, you often have a thousand questions. Where is the best place to buy my books? I am going to live in Nijmegen, what should I do? That is why we have listed a number of questions for you.

1. What is DUO?

DUO is the acronym for Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, an agency of the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. DUO executes various educational laws and regulations. For example, providing study funding and collecting tuition fees and study debts.

2. What does the loan system involve?

In the old loan system, you received a basic grant. This was a fixed amount that you received as a gift from the government if you completed your study within ten years. Under the new loan system introduced in 2015, students can borrow a maximum of €1,076.14 per month. After your studies, you will start repaying these debts. How much this is per month depends on your loan and your income.

3. What is Studielink?

Via studielink.nl you can arrange your (re-)enrolment for a course at a university of applied sciences or university in the Netherlands and your registration with DUO.

4. I am going to study, what do I need to arrange? 

Fill in the questionnaire on Rijksoverheid to find out what you need to arrange and what you are entitled to.

5. I want to study abroad, what do I need to do?

There are several things you need to think about and do, this checklist may help you! Do you want to know if you can go abroad with your study? Check ru.nl and han.nl.

6. How do I apply for a student travel product?

With a student travel product you can travel on public transport for free or with a discount. To travel with a student travel product you need to complete 5 steps. Go to studentenreisproduct.nl.

7. Where can I buy my books?

Through Studystore you can easily see your entire book list at once. If you want to save money, you can buy books at Markplaats and/or bol.com, or borrow them from the library. 

8. How do I find out which study suits me?

There are various websites that can help you with your choice of study: studiekeuze123.nlru.nlstudentum.nl and nti.nl.

Do you already know what direction you want to go in? Then sign up for a trial study day at Radboud University or HAN University of Applied Sciences..

9. Can I apply for several studies?

Yes, you can apply for 3 studies, but this is often not necessary. You can register for one programme and switch programmes later, but in that case you must have registered before 1 May. The new study programme is not allowed to refuse your admission, because you have registered for higher education on time. However, you will often have to take part in a new study choice check.

10. What is the difference between associate degrees, bachelor's degrees and master's degrees?

An associate degree is a two-year programme in higher vocational education (hbo). The level of study is between mbo-4 and hbo-bachelor. After graduation, students receive an hbo diploma and can also choose to go on to a hbo bachelor.

A bachelor course is the first phase of a college or university course. It lasts four years at a university of applied sciences and three years at a university. Once you have completed the bachelor's course, you receive a bachelor's title.

A master's degree follows a bachelor's degree. It usually takes one or two years and can be followed at both universities of applied sciences and universities. You can choose which master's course you want to take in the same field of study. When you have completed a master's programme, you receive a master's title.

11. Can I easily switch studies in the first year?

It is often possible to switch to another programme and take (part of) your credits with you. This is because in the first year of study the same introductory courses are often given in several programmes. If you want to switch, it is good to know that there are often intake moments in February. If you want to switch after February, you will have to wait for the next starting moment in September.

12. When is the introduction week?

The introduction week usually takes place at the end of August. Want to know when they take place and what the activities are? Check ru.nl and han.nl for more information.

13. What is 'ontgroening'?

Some student associations have a hazing session for new members. A hazing often lasts a few days and during these days you will do all kinds of activities together. It is meant to build a strong bond between (new) members of the association and to create a 'us' feeling. Would you rather not have a hazing, but still become a member of a student association? Don't worry, not all student associations have a hazing.

14. Do I get discounts as a student?

Yes, a student card gives you a discount at e.g. Vue, Pathe Nijmegen, Café Samson, Ami Kappers and Swapfiets. Click here for the overview. Want more discounts? Download the Kneak app

15. How do I know what there is to do in Nijmegen?

Follow IntoNijmegen on Facebook and Instagram and don't miss anything about Nijmegen. Or check the agenda regularly and find a nice event to go to.